My current research concerns joint and agent decision making. That is, how do couples make decisions together (e.g., about buying a house, where to go on vacation, whether to buy a new TV) and how do we decide for someone else (e.g., buying gifts for others, doing grocery shopping)? This research follows my earlier research on knowledge about others and close relationships in general. Some of the research questions I am now investigating include:
(1) Are happy couples better in joint decision making?
(2) What determines whether a trip to IKEA is stressful or fun?
(3) How do we make decisions for others, and do they differ from decisions made for yourself?
More generally, I am interested in the processes of person perception and interpersonal processes. Along with this comes an interest in the methodological and statistical challenges that accompany this research. I especially like to work with actor and partner effects, longitudinal data, and multi-level designs.
- Close Relationships
- Interpersonal Processes
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Person Perception
- Lammers, J., Stoker, J. I., Jordan, J., Pollmann, M. M. H. & Stapel, D. A. (2011). Power increases infidelity among men and women. Psychological Science.
- Pollmann, M., Finkenauer, C., & Begeer, S. (2010). Mediators of the link between autistic traits and relationship satisfaction in a non-clinical sample. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 40(4), 470-478. doi: 10.1007/s10803-009-0888-z
- Pollmann, M. M. H., & Finkenauer, C. (2009). Investigating the role of two types of understanding in relationship well-being: Understanding is more important than knowledge. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 35(11), 1512-1527. doi: 10.1177/0146167209342754.
- Pollmann, M. M. H., & Finkenauer, C. (2008). Empathic forecasting: How do we predict other people's feelings? Cognition and Emotion, 23, 978-1001. doi: 10.1080/02699930802264895.
- Pollmann, M. M. H., Finkenauer, C., & van Dijk, W. W. (2008). The order effect in self-other predictions: Considering target as a moderator. European Journal of Social Psychology, 38, 315-332.
- Stel, M., van Baaren, R. B., Blascovich, J., van Dijk, E., McCall, C., Pollmann, M. M. H., van Leeuwen, M.L., Mastop, J., & Vonk, R. (2010). Effects of a Priori Liking on the Elicitation of Mimicry. Experimental Psychology (formerly "Zeitschrift für Experimentelle Psychologie"), 57(6), 412 - 418.
- Social Psychological Theories
- Phone: +31 13 466 8364
- Fax: +31 13 466 2067
P.O. Box 90153
5000 LE Tilburg